Four Seasons Resort Lanai
The island of Lanai is an 88,000 acre unspoiled tropical paradise that is home to only 3,100 residents, and is 98% owned by billionaire Larry Ellison. With no traffic lights, and only 3 paved roads on the island, it feels like you are on an incredibly gorgeous private island that has yet to be discovered.
We stayed at the Four Seasons Lanai before Larry Ellison purchased the island, and we loved it then. We returned again to see the results of the massive $450m renovation of the Resort, and we were completely blown away. Ellison pulled out all of the stops with no expense spared, and no detail overlooked… it would be impossible to overstate how amazing and special this place is. Here are some of the things we love most about the resort:
- The resort overlooks Hulopoe Beach, a beautiful uncrowded crescent shaped beach that typically ranks among the best in all of Hawaii. Mornings are usually calm, and provide easy access to incredible snorkeling directly off the beach. Occasionally a huge pod of spinner dolphins visits the bay to rest, and if you are lucky enough to be in the water (like we were) when they arrive, it will be an experience that you never forget.
- The two lagoon pools are surrounded by lush landscaping, heated to the perfect temperature, and provide beautiful views from ultra comfortable loungers, with plenty of umbrellas to provide protection from the hot Hawaiian sun.
- The Jack Nicklaus golf course is in pristine condition and includes jaw dropping ocean views from every hole. We have played rounds more than a few times on both visits, and there were usually only a couple of other groups on the entire course, with no one in front of or behind us. You can ride Golf Boards to “surf the earth” as you play, and the resort offers a high value “Member For A Week” package that provides guests with unlimited golf, golf cart, and rental clubs across a seven-day visit, with sunup-to-sundown access.
- The rooms and suites are in a class by themselves among resorts worldwide. The decor is described as being inspired by Hawaiian history, while feeling cool and comfortable. They are high tech and luxurious from the integrated lighting and temperature controls, to the commissioned artwork, all the way to the (amazing!) multi-feature Toto toilets. :-)
- When is the last time you went to Nobu without a reservation? FS Lanai is one resort we have been to where we never worried about dinner reservations. Just show up when you are ready to eat, and you will enjoy incredible food, excellent service, and even better views. So many great choices between Nobu, One Forty, Malibu Farm, Views, and the Sports Club.
- All of the activities are resort owned and operated, which means they are five star in all ways. The resort has a fleet of boats that can take guests snorkeling, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, and on sunset sails. Other popular activities include horseback riding, UTV tours, archery & shooting range, tennis, a full service Spa, and more. There might not be another resort with a selection of activities that are as well rounded and high quality as the Four Seasons Lanai.
The quality and experience across every category at the resort makes it a true bucket list destination. As you sit in the private Four Seasons Lanai Lounge at Honolulu airport, waiting for your flight back to the mainland, you will be relaxed, rejuvenated, and also inspired to return as soon as possible to enjoy this amazing private paradise all over again.